I started playing music at an early age in many local groups as a bass and guitar player and though singing may have been my forte, in the past 40+ years I have added producing, arranging, engineering and all around musical production to the mix. My greatest joy was being part of Andrae Crouch & the Disciples group in the late 70’s where I played bass + sang on four albums, touring extensively throughout the world at such venues as Albert Hall in London, Carnegie Hall in NY and the Hollywood Bowl to name a few. I won my Grammy Award w Andrae in 1978 for his Live in London album…what a thrill! I went on to have my own gospel album on Light Records but eventually drifted back into secular music where I fronted my own group, Spare Hare here in the I.E. full of great local players such as Steve Tavaglione, Johnny Meza, Gary Bruington, Mike Hodge, Dio Saucedo and guests from time to time such as Brandon Fields, Michael O'Neal and David Garfield...a privilege to have played with each and every one of them!
In 1984 I was selected as lead vocalist, (though one of many over the years), with Tower of Power…my tenure was brief due to illness, but hey, it was very cool while it lasted! Since then I have concentrated on producing other studio projects plus working with my own group that includes my wife, vocalist Delaney AND fellow Grammy Winner and long time friend, saxophonist Glen Myerscough AND as of late, the wonderful saxophonist Jason Weber.
I humbly thank you for checking out our site and want people to know that I am dedicated, now more than ever, to using the talents GOD has given me to glorify HIM for the rest of my days.
Little Willie G. Ministries & "Thee Midnighters"
"One of music's vibrant and important voices. Mentored by Andrae Crouch, Jaymes infuses all his projects with a rich and profound legacy of experiences that immediately resonate with the listener and inspire the heart!"
Kim Hutchcroft, Saxophonist/Flutist, SEAWIND
“Precious Brother Jaymes, We've had the opportunity to work together in both live settings and live recordings. Brian Duncan, Andre Crouch, Scott Smith & Debbie McClendon come to mind and Jaymes, you bring QUALITY, EXCELLENT, TASTY FUNK to the table every time. However, who you are supersedes what you do brother. You're a man after God's heart and a good friend. Spending years playing together on a worship team at the Packinghouse in Redlands has been an honor and blessed my heart to boot. My only complaint is you're too easy to get along with ;-) Straight ahead and strive for tone my friend."
Bob Carlisle, Contemporary Gospel Artist/Songwriter (Butterfly Kisses)
“I have a unique perspective when it comes to Jaymes. In the mid to late 70's Jaymes was playing in a band called Psalm 150. This was no ordinary band. The level of musicianship in the this band / ministry was at a level all it's own and second to none one. I had gone on occasion to hear them play and was never less than blown away. I was only 17 years old at the time when I worked up enough courage to approach them after a concert they had done at the (then) Melodyland Theater in Orange County, CA. Clad with my acoustic guitar in hand, I was hoping to be heard by these guys. After playing and singing a song for them I was thrilled when I later learned that Jaymes thought that I could actually make the cut. Long story short, I wound up living communally with the guys in a band house in Orange County. Now... to Jaymes. This man was so amazing as a singer, bass and guitar player that I, along with everyone else who ever made contact with him, wanted to learn from him, play and sing like him. I absorbed him like a sponge and, although I never was able to do what he was able to do, to this very day I am a better singer and musician simply because of what I absorbed from Jaymes all those years ago, as a young aspiring musician. To this day, that was STILL the most musically influential time of my life. And you know, to this day I'm not sure I ever thanked Jaymes for being such an influence on my musical life. So best I do it now. Thank you Jaymes, you have no idea.”
Dean Mills, Gospel Vocalist/Saxophonist
“Jaymes Felix is without question one of the most gifted musicians I know. I would not have a career as a recording artist without his incredible skill set as a producer, vocalist, musician and friend!"
Randy Thomas, Grammy Winning Songwriter/Guitarist
“Many of us who have been around the deep musical heritage of Gospel and soul music owe a great debt to Jaymes Felix as a major inspiration. Watching him play and sing with Psalm 150 was how those of us who had ‘ears to hear’ learned about true soul and groove. He was a major force with Andre Crouch and the Disciples, and even fronted the legendary Tower of Power. He has always been a humbly gifted man who used his astounding gifts in support of others. Never one to hype his own contributions, he particularly excels at turning the spotlight toward Jesus. Listen to his recordings and / or go hear him in person. Then you’ll understand.”
Vance Schmitz, Keyboardist/Songwriter/Collaborator
"Jaymes is a unique cat, and man, this kid’s got IT! He is a musicians musician. He is a quadruple threat: He can sing, play, write and produce and he is arguably one of the best at all of them plus he has soul for days. But what really makes him special is his willingness to help others...and that is what makes this a brotha' like no otha'!"
Steve Nieves, Saxophonist/Vocalist
"Jaymes is the consummate musician, a literal Jack-of-all-trades. From the soul fullest of vocals to the funkiest guitar/bass/or keys this brotha' does it all with heart and skill. If Felix is making your music, you've already won!"
Mark Maxwell, Saxophonist & Owner, Pro Backing Tracks
The tunes that Jaymes does for Pro Backing Tracks are the best I’ve ever heard...solid, realistic, funky, hip, and beautiful!”
I'd love to to talk shop, reminisce or just catch up. My studio is here for pre-production, overdubs, mixing and mastering if you're interested. I own Righteous Maggie Music Publishing and currently I'm a vendor with Pro Backing Tracks.
From Jaymes...In the early 70's I co-founded the gospel group "Psalm 150" with my dear friend Greg Eckler, playing soulful rhythm n blues gospel music. This group helped pioneer the way for "non- traditional" gospel music to be accepted in contemporary Christian churches of the day. Greg continued the group for a long while even after I left. We stayed in touch, attended church together in San Bernardino for many years and even though he moved away for a time, in the following years we had many other occasions to visit and fellowship, plus perform together. We even wrote another Psalm 150 album just a few years back. He was a significant mentor and life long friend and I'm forever grateful for him leading me to the Lord. Sadly we lost Greg in November 2020.
Bassist/vocalist w renowned Gospel Artist Andrae Crouch & the Disciples. Performed worldwide at Carnegie Hall NY, Albert Hall London, Sydney Opera House, Hollywood Bowl to name a few. As a member I received a Grammy Award for the "Best Soul Gospel Album" in a Contemporary category in 1978 for "Live in London" album. I also co-wrote "The Choice" w Greg Eckler on Andrae's album "This is Another Day" released in 1976 which won Soul/Black Gospel Album Dove Award in 1977. Also on the same album I was the featured vocalist on the song "We Expect You"
- Solo album on Light Records entitled "White as Snow" + toured and promoted.
- Lead singer w "Tower of Power." A highlight was Super Bowl Pre-Party for the SF 49'ers.
- Co-wrote/sang on 4 songs, "Dream Come True" by David Garfield's Karizma, LA based jazz group.
- Also co-wrote songs for 2nd album, 1 used by Phil Perry on his album.
- Bassist/vocalist w Christian artist Darrell Mansfield, to Hawaii, Tokyo, Seoul & Hong Kong.
- Co-wrote/arrange 1st album, RCA artist, Bobby Ross Avila, toured w New Kids on the Block
- Co-wrote/arranged songs for Bobby's 2nd album demo.
- Guitarist/background vocalist for contemporary Christian artist, Bryan Duncan
- Played guitar, “Slow Revival Tour” w Christian artists Bob Carlisle & Rebecca St. James.
- Co-wrote “United We Stand” used as theme for the tour/seen in video for the annual Flevo Gospel
Festival, Amsterdam. Returned for another festival October, 1995.
- “Blue Skies” tour (1997) w B Duncan - on the album co-wrote “Joy is a Singable Thing” and
“Bryan’s Hymn–When I turn to you”.
- Spring 1997 as guitarist w Bryan Duncan, Crystal Lewis & Anointed, BIG VOICE tour.
- Guest vocalist for Maranatha’s Acappella Praise II 1993 album project - BGV/lead vocals, Promise
Keepers "Raise the Standard" I & II, won '95 Dove Award.
- Producer/songwriter “Redeeming the Time,” Contemporary Christian artist Dean Mills
- Guest guitarist “Come just as you are - Harvest of Praise,” Harvest Christian Fellowship
- Performed at Andrae Crouch & Disciples reunion concert/ordination celebration, singing
'We Expect You', off Grammy winning album 'Live in London'.
- Prod/Arranger “For Such a Time as This,” Christian group, Reign of Soul/Jasper Records
- Vocal arrange/BGVs -Darrell Mansfield’s "The Lord’s House," Rev Dan Smith tribute
- Guest vocalist for Maranatha's 'Making of a Godly Man' w '97 Promise Keepers Events.
- Guest vocalist for Maranatha's 'ONE VOICE' Men's Gospel Choir album - Team member/guitarist,
Promise Keepers events, Seattle, Fresno, Minneapolis & more.
- Produced/arranged/co-Wrote "SOULED OUT," Darrell Mansfield, Ocean Records.
- Continued as guitarist/bassist for Contemporary Christian Artist, Bryan Duncan
- BGV's on Christmas LP by Andrae Crouch produced by Scott Smith/Ralph Carmichael
- Production of contemporary Christian Artist, Dean Mills 2nd album
- Continued as BASSIST for contemporary Christian artist, Bryan Duncan.
2000 - 2011
- Collaborated as songwriter/prod w Maranatha Music, various contemporary projects
- Produce Latin gospel artist, “Julian’s,” 2nd album at BNGG Studios
- Produced “You’re Worthy of My Praise,” Promise Keepers “Live Worship”
- Background Vocals on Andrae Crouch’s project 2002.
- Background vocals on Crystal Lewis’ Christmas Album, “Holy, Holy, Holy”
- Completed “Through his Eyes” by gospel artist, “Julian”, BNGG Studios, Riverside.
- Member, Andrae Crouch Singers on Ray Charles' final album, Genius & Friends.
2012 - May 2020
- Worship Band Leader R3 Church, Fontana w bass player A Ford and other wonderful players.
- Sang with members of the Disciples at Andrae Crouch's funeral in Los Angeles
- Continues musical production in home studio
- Performs regularly with Delaney and other artists
- Owner, Righteous Maggie Publishing
- Vendor/contributor at Pro Backing Tracks